Serpentine Dixie Dresser
I occasionally suffer from furniture envy. My friend Kat once had a tall serpentine dresser that looked like it had been painted over about 10 times. It had this cool aged patina that was mottled with different colors showing through the top coat. The drawers bowed outward so it had a lovely curvy figure.
I admired that dresser of hers. She sold it long ago (the multiple colors probably messed with her OCD) but I’ve been on the lookout for my own. I scoured thrift stores, estate sales but never seemed to find the right one. Came close once – and for $35 bucks in pristine condition –it was a steal. But it was too long and it never would have fit in the apartment bedroom.
Early into moving into the bungalow I found this one. I knew it was the right one. Not too big – not too small. Just the right height – (slightly higher than my bed foot board) A pretty curve to the front. Nothing too crazy on the woodwork. Perfect. Except… the finish. And that can be fixed.
Buying the dresser soon after I moved in had its challenges. I had just cleared the garage of boxes only to now store this sizable piece in there. My car would have to wait – the dresser has to live there until I can finish sanding it and painting it. It’s also been hot as hell this summer. 106 in the shade… The only time I’ve had to work on this piece is early weekend mornings.
Here it’s sanded– the bare wood almost ready to accept a first coat of white primer.
The dresser came missing one pull – it will need a replacement or maybe find new ones. One of the bigger drawers was coming apart – easily fixed with a little wood glue.
But painting process has been painstaking slow. Essentially, I’ve been painting one thin layer on a Saturday morning, one thin layer on Sunday, and using a fine sand paper grit in between. I started with thin coats of Kilz primer as I like the way it coats and hides the areas that resisted sanding.
I love white furniture but felt this piece needed a little something (not “bling” not “pop” please stop using those words, they are over used, tired and need break). Just a little hint of color and sparkle. I’ve been using a Benjamin Moore pearlescent glaze called simplicity (pink), applying one coat at a time. Frustrated with the heat and the lack of progress I brought the drawers inside. They needed to be cleaned from the original sanding and dirt anyway. I discovered that someone had used this dresser or arts and crafts or sewing storage. I loved that there were sewing pins stuck in the cracks and flecks of crayon and paint. A generous coat of wood wax was applied to the sides of the drawers – protecting the unpainted part of the drawer and giving it a nice, buttery finish. Lastly – I’ve been spraying thin coats of clear lacquer to protect it and give it a super shiny finish. It’s almost done!
Posted on October 18, 2012, in Crafting, Garage Estate Yard Sale Goodness and tagged Benjamin Moore Pearlescent Paint, Dixie Dresser, DIY, project, Serpentine Dresser. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.