Graduation Dress – Ditching the Design
Thing 2 was busy with gymnastics and school and since she was apprehensive about the first dress design, I went ahead and finished the sun dress version in the Hawaiian print – coaxing her to try it on at various intervals so I could really customize the fit.
Without being able to see the final version and having absolutely no trust in my skills and taste, Thing 2 picked out another pattern. Experience has taught me not to fight the process. After all, when you’re teaching someone to sew, you have to ensure that the project will be successful and that the end result be something she could be proud about. This time, I didn’t have Thing 2 around to help me (child of divorce and all) so I whipped up the muslin and sewed it up so she could try it on. It was a unanimous YES! The simple muslin fabric looked GORGEOUS on her! Excited with our new beginning I cut out two sets of fabrics from the pattern to got ready to sew. Graduation is just around the corner so Thing 2 might not get a chance to sew her own graduation dress, but at least the lesson of what you can do will be learned.
Meanwhile, the original dress in the Hawaiian print was turning out darn pretty cute. The dress begged for a little more pizzazz so I edged the neck and armholes with a thin bias tape that I made from scraps of white fabric and one of my Clover Bias Tape makers. Mr. Malibu was concerned when he first saw the dress – got to give him props for noticing that the front panels don’t match. I didn’t put a lot of effort into this dress as I suspect Thing 2 won’t ever wear it. I was limited with a short amount of fabric and it was more an exercise than completing for garment that would be actually worn. She doesn’t wear dresses very often.
Hopefully I’ve alleviated Mr. Malibu’s fears, because he wants a shirt made, with monogrammed cuffs, no less.